Whenever I travel to a new city or town, I always try to interact and mingle with the locals! Why so…? Well, other than the fact that they have very interesting stories to tell, they also hold the best ‘inside scoop’ in their area — the top dishes to eat, the most amazing experiences to try, and so much more!
(You will see photos of some of the individuals that I’ve met during my travels in my ‘People from my Travels‘ Facebook page).
So, if you are like me who travels NOT ONLY to see new places and sights, but to also get a fuller experience through cultural activities with local people, then it’s a must for you to check out this online platform that I absolutely love: Withlocals!
What is Withlocals?
Withlocals is a ‘marketplace’ that connects travelers with locals from anywhere in the world by offering unique travel experiences and home dining opportunities. “Unique” because how else can you truly try an authentic adventure but with a local, right?
Launched just last 2013, Withlocals’ services have been primarily focused in Asia; however, they are slowly spreading out to Europe with Netherlands as the first country that’s up on their roster this year. (Soon, they will be expanding to Spain, Italy, and more!)
As a traveler, you can experience three different things through their site:
Top 3 Reasons Why I Love Withlocals!
- It has a LOT of exciting and affordable activities!
Ever wondered how it would feel like to cook and eat genuine Thai food in a local’s home? How it feels to drive a tuk tuk through Chiang Mai? How to properly do an ancient Thai massage? There are tons and tons of available options that you can pick through and each of them will even present you a detailed schedule. And the best part…? All of them are certainly affordable! (Services start as low as €2 or Php 100+)
- Hosts/suppliers are verified and each activity AND traveler can be reviewed.
To ensure trust, all providers at Withlocals are checked and verified. Once a supplier is approved, each of their experiences can be reviewed; therefore, giving you more of an idea about how the ordeal went for other people. (Meanwhile, you as a traveler can also be reviewed by others which is a helpful feature for hosts.)
- It gives travelers a chance to contribute to the local economy!
Ultimately, what I absolutely LOVE about Withlocals is the fact that they help bring added income to local people who are not only hospitable but talented as well! For sure, it is a great way to give back to the community that you’re visiting.
How It Works
Withlocals caters to two audiences and below are explanations on how it works for each group:
» For Travelers
Booking an experience as a traveler is easy! After registering, you can simply type the location of your trip into the search engine so that you can see the HUGE list of activities that you can try. (Payment is made either through your credit card or PayPal account, and if you ever want to book a private experience or an event with a specific provider, that’s possible too!)
» For Hosts
Registering as a host or travel experience provider is also easy. You just need to register through Withlocals, fill in your details and then wait until an ambassador verifies your application and visits you personally (to check out your service).
Today, Withlocals and I have partnered up in order to give you an experience that you will never forget!
What’s up for grabs? A €50 (Php 2,500+) voucher that you can use to avail any experience on their platform. This might not seem much to you but for Asia as an example, this voucher can already give you various experiences!
To best illustrate this, with a €50 voucher, you can already enjoy 4 epic activities in Thailand:
- Workshop for Creating Your Own Lanna Lanterns – €7.50
- Ancient Thai Massage Therapy Session – €10
- Authentic Thai Living, Eating, and Cooking Experience – €12.50
- Muay Thai Lessons – €18.28
If you want a more specialized experience, you can always search through the higher-priced activities to choose a one-time endeavor.
» How to Win?
- Log in to the form below (either through your Facebook account or your email)
- Do the 5 required steps that will be displayed below. Each action will give you 1 entry and one step closer to winning a Withlocals Experience — take note that the last option (Tweeting) can be done everyday so you can gain more entries!
- Once you finish doing these 5 required steps, it will unlock 6 other entry options, thereby giving you even MORE entries to increase your chances of winning! (These are optional steps)
» Terms & Conditions:
- This giveaway is open WORLDWIDE.
- The prize does NOT include flights or airfare.
- This giveaway will start on June 24 (12AM – GMT + 8 Time) and will end on July 10 (12AM). Winner will be picked randomly and will be announced in July 11 on the ‘I am Aileen’ Facebook page.
- This giveaway is hosted by me, Aileen, in partnership with Withlocals; but prize distribution will be the sole responsibility of Withlocals.
Good luck and enjoy! Please feel free to also share this giveaway to your family and friends!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Hey there! I am Aileen Adalid.
At 21, I quit my corporate job in the Philippines to pursue my dreams. Today, I am a successful digital nomad (entrepreneur, travel writer, & vlogger) living a sustainable travel lifestyle.
My mission? To show you how it is absolutely possible to create a life of travel too (no matter the odds), and I will help you achieve that through my detailed travel guides, adventures, resources, tips, and MORE!
NEW READER? START HERE!
CONTINENTS: 7 ~ COUNTRIES: 55
Stay updated with Aileen monthly! Sign up and receive exclusive updates, articles, giveaways, and so much more!
Konnichiwa, Tokyo — I missed you!~ ✨🇯🇵 Now, thanks to @kkdayph, I have some fun activities lined up for the next da… https://t.co/YXZY1qSsMG
That 'pika pika' gets me every 👏🏼 single 👏🏼 time 👏🏼 https://t.co/RYmljssZVX