Visiting Rome: The Classic Attractions and a Few Hidden Gems

Visiting Rome: The Classic Attractions and a Few Hidden Gems

Italy is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations given how it boasts stunning cities like Florence and Venice, beautiful coastlines such as those of the Amalfi Coast and Sicily, and rustic countryside as found in the Tuscan hills. But for those interested in a mix of historical sites, delicious food and wine, and some of the most famed art in the world, the Italian capital of Rome is hard to beat.

So whether this is your first or one of many city breaks of visiting Rome, here are a few classic attractions and hidden gems that you won’t want to miss-out on!

Visiting Rome

#1 – The Lungotevere

The River Tiber runs through the city of Rome and there are few places that are more scenic to head for a stroll than the Lungotevere, a walkway that meanders along its banks. While you might not find this pathway in the tourist books, the stunning views here of St. Peter’s Basilica, Castel Sant’Angelo, and Tiber Island make for one of the city’s best backdrops.

#2 – The Roman Forum

Roman Forum

A trip to Rome would not be complete without a visit to the Roman Forum, which holds some of ancient Rome’s most important historical sites including The Tabularium, Germonian stairs, Temple of Saturn, Temple of Vespasian and Titus, Temple of Caesar and more. This is a visitor’s ultimate opportunity to get a sense of what it felt like to live in ancient Rome – the capital of one of the world’s most important and largest empires!

#3 – The Palatine Hill

The Palatine Hill was once home to the wealthiest of Roman citizens, including the elite senators and emperors along with their families. Now, this hill is the tallest of the seven Roman hills, and visitors can enjoy visiting the ruined house of Augustus Caesar, the Temple of Apollo, as well as the Lupercal—to be the cave from which Rome was born.

#4 – The Colosseum

Visiting Rome

The Colosseum is one of the world’s most iconic sites, as well as its largest amphitheater. Designed and built by Vespasian for Titus between 70-80 AD, the structure could hold up to 80,000 people and it has hosted a variety of events, from mock sea battles, animal hunts and gladiatorial contests, to plays of Classical mythology.

#4 – Villa Doria Pamphili

At 180 hectares the Villa Doria Pamphili is Rome’s largest park, but it tends to be mostly ignored by tourists. Still, it is often enjoyed by locals who can be found strolling through the French style gardens and past the grand villa during most late afternoons. So if you’re looking for a place to escape the hustle and bustle of the capital, then this park is the perfect destination for you.

Overall

Remember, just because you might’ve been to Rome before doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of great sites to still discover.

How about you?

• Have you been to Rome?
  • How was your trip? What where that things you did?
  • Do you agree with this top 5? What else can you add?

Did you like this article? Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube and be notified about my newest posts and updates!

19 comments

1. Colosseum....how I wish to see it in person...everytime I watch the movie Glatiator by Russel Crowe, I remember it...

1. Same for me! I loved that movie and I think it was what first enticed me to see Rome for myself

2. Someday I would love to visit Rome. There are so many architectural marvels to see! I love your photos!

3. This is one of the places we want to visit - and your ideas of hidden gems is just remarkable. The VILLA DORIA PAMPHILI sounds like my favorite. I do like being away from the hustle and bustle after a day of wonderful sights. Great post and beautiful images

4. I've been thinking about Rome this morning. I love its rich history, culture, and people. As a tourist, you will surely be overwhelmed with the many amazing landmarks. I think one day will not be enough to experience the entirety of Rome.

1. I'll have to agree with you on that -- Rome is just too amazing and one day wouldn't be enough!

5. I have yet to visit overseas. Italy, especially Rome, is on my bucket list between my love of Italian food and culture AND my Italian heritage. Thanks for your take on visiting there, especially Villa Doria Pamphili as an often overlooked place to visit.

1. That's amazing that you have Italian heritage. It's absolutely a must then that you should come by Italy!

6. Ah fond thoughts of Rome over here. No memories made (yet) because we haven't visited. Eep! By the way, parts of the new James Bond movie were filmed (at least, I think they were...lol) over in Rome. Absolutely gorgeous scenery, and such history. One day! I mean, I was only a flight away a few years ago when I went to Ireland to visit my brother.

1. Yes, the recent James Bond film was indeed done in Rome :D it's a really amazing city and I hope you get to see it soon!

7. What an amazing trip! I hope to be able to travel there someday! Some really amazing views and such a history rich area!

8. Sadly, I have only visited Italy for 2 hours. We were in Switzerland and stopped over in Italy for lunch. Rome is one of those places I really really want to visit. The history, sites and culture fascinates me!

1. I'm sorry to hear that! But then that calls for a next visit then ;)

9. I would love the hidden gems because everyone talks about the regular attractions but no one talks about the other hidden things that are just as beautiful. Love how you broke all of down for those traveling.

1. Glad you like it, Kita! I love discovering hidden spots too :)

10. WOW, this sounds like an awesome vacation! Would love to see the Colosseum, the Jewels of Italy and a ton more places. We are planning a trip to Europe in a couple years and am really looking forward to Italy!

1. Awesome to hear! There's really a lot of amazing landmarks in Rome :D