As a frequent traveler, blogger, and online entrepreneur, the internet is truly an important part of my daily life — I’m sure that in one way or another, connectivity is important for you wherever you may be! However… the tragedy of it all is that it can be very challenging to acquire reliable connection whenever we are on the road — which regrettably happens almost ALL of the time. (Tep Wireless)
Surely there were times that I scored great WiFi service in my hotel or accommodation, but more often than not, I don’t. What happens next then? I’ll be on a maddening search for a cafe, a restaurant, a coworking space, or a mall that offers a well-functioning web connection either for free or for a low price… and that can be such a hassle. Plus, it’s not like I can bring that connection with me anywhere I go — well, of course I could avail international roaming beforehand but it could be crazy expensive (that’s why I avoid it like the plague). Or I could also buy local mobile SIM cards, but the overall process of searching for a local shop that offers a well-shaped nano card every time I land to a new place whilst I deconstruct and reconstruct my phone makes the lazy person inside me scream at times.
So yes, you can say that I’m always on the search for good internet when I’m traveling and I’m not joking about this: it’s an experience that’s somehow akin to a ‘lottery’ and then dashed with a lot of ‘hassle’.
It’s been an aggravating search… until now.
And it’s all thanks to Tep Wireless!
» What is Tep Wireless?
Tep Wireless or “Teppy” is a wireless pocket WiFi or modem with a private network that works similarly to your wireless router at home — just smaller, portable, and hassle-free as it connects up to 5 WiFi-enabled devices to 3G or 4G internet — in simpler words: it provides you with a secure, consistent and fast internet connection anywhere, anytime!
Think of it like a Wi-Fi hotspot, but the difference is that you can bring it with you! Additionally, there’s no need for complicated installations, cables or software because you just need to turn it on, start it up, and connect to it.
» How does it work?
First and foremost, you need to go to Tep Wireless’ website to place your order. Determine what country or continent you’ll be traveling to, as well as the number of days that you need internet connection for.
3G or 4G connection
Unlimited data for
Available in over
Before checking out, you can opt to rent additional stuff like a power bank, a car charger or even insurance. Other extra services that you can enjoy are:
- Call & Text Abroad (FREE service): Through the Tep+ Call and Messaging App, you can execute cheaper worldwide calls and SMS! (For more info, see here.)
- Kitestring (FREE service): To add some ‘peace of mind’ to your travels, Kitestring will automatically alert your contacts (such as your parents) if you don’t check in. (For more info, see here.)
- Tep Guru: Through this service, you can enhance your trip with unique local insights & get personal assistance from your very own local concierge! (For more info, see here.)
- Inflight Wifi: (Coming soon!)
Meanwhile, for delivery, you can either pick it up and drop it off at no cost (only if you’re in the UK or Venezuela) OR have it delivered and picked up (at the end of your rental period) at your address (or even at your hotel) for a fee.
TIP: It’s recommended to book your Tep Wireless unit at least 10 days prior to your travel date and shipping will then take 1-3 business days. For last-minute orders, you can still rent a Tep pocket WiFi and it will arrive latest the day before your rental starts.
Once you receive your unit, you only need to register the Tep Wireless device on your device’s Wifi connections by taking note of the device name and password that’s displayed on the screen — and that’s it, you can immediately start browsing!
» Why do I love Tep Wireless?
- It’s safe and secure. Your Tep unit is NOT like a public WiFi that’s open and accessible to just about anyone, so you’re assured that hackers (for instance) won’t get into your gadget’s sensitive info. After all, it will have its unique password and you have full control as to who you’re going to share this password with. I was told that it can support 5 devices at once, but I’ve actually used it for 9 things and it still worked well! Nevertheless, it’s best to keep it under 5 or else the connection might slow down and the battery life will decrease significantly; after all, the connection speed will be technically shared across all 5.
- It’s convenient to have. Given its small size, it’s easy to bring with you wherever you go, so you absolutely don’t need to go WiFi-hunting anymore. With Tep Wireless by your side too, you will no longer get lost because you can easily access Google Maps; whereas talking to locals will be a breeze too since you can connect to Google Translate swiftly. If you need to keep in touch with friends and family, you don’t need to pay for a SIM card or pay high international data roaming charges since you can just use WhatsApp, Viber, or FaceTime for FREE — the possibilities are endless!
- It’s fast and reliable. Tep Wireless makes it a point to connect with the biggest mobile network operators worldwide so that you can have the fastest connection available. Along with that aim, they are offering UNLIMITED DATA too! As for speed, it can be as fast as 18.6mbps (or 100mbps theoretic data) and if you avail 4G connections you’ll be assured of fast connection every time.
- Its battery life lasts long. A Tep Wireless comes with a universal adapter and a USB cable so it’s an effortless item to recharge when you’re traveling. Once it’s fully charged, the battery lasts around 6 hours when in use and 20 hours when on standby. From my experience, it can last a day! (NOTE: You can always bring along a power bank or rent directly from Tep Wireless for an extra fee.)
- It’s easy to use. Like I’ve already mentioned, Tep Wireless is a trouble-free device and it’s really straightforward since everything is on the screen with a tap of a button. Rest assured, you will be sent easy-to-follow instructions on how to use it.
- It can be used in a LOT of countries. The Tep Wireless pocket WiFi is available for use in popular destinations worldwide. To see the full list, just go to their website. It helps to note though that there are still some rural or far-flung places that it’s not available in, and which they are working on acquiring (example: Greenland, Mongolia, Faroe Islands, Congo, etc.)
- It has responsive 24/7 customer service. Tep Wireless’ website has a LIVE chat function and every single time, a representative answers my queries instantly. The company also values us, its customers, very highly so if there are ever any problems, they won’t hesitate to help cancel you rental or refund your money.
- Overall: it’s better than other pocket WiFis out there! It was my first time to use a pocket WiFi when I got my own Tep Wireless device; but before declaring it as the best out there, I made it a point to try 3 other providers and so far, Tep Wireless’ connectivity, price, and service trumps the rest!
» The “cons”
~ If your rental period is too long, the price can get hefty. I actually recommend renting a Tep Wireless unit if you’re ONLY going on a trip that spans for a couple of weeks. But if you’re going out on an adventure that lasts for more than a month, the rental price for that period can get scary.
✮ So what do I recommend that you do instead? BUY a Tep Wireless unit for only $99 (click on the ‘Frequent Traveler’ tab on top). Through this way…
- You will be charged a day rate ONLY when you need to connect — this is as opposed to a fixed rental period rate wherein there can be days that you won’t really need the internet and you’ll be wasting away that day rate that you already paid for.
- You will be charged cheaper at only $8 per day.
- You can choose to pay-as-you-go (and be invoiced at the end of your week of use) or do pre-pay basis.
- You won’t have to pay for delivery and pick-up shipping costs.
~ It’s not entirely worldwide — yet. As an example, currently there a lot of countries in Africa that are not supported by Tep Wireless’ network yet (anyhow, the top destinations like South Africa, Egypt, Kenya and Morrocco are thankfully covered). Nevertheless, they’re working on covering more destinations worldwide and I’m sure that in a year or two, they’ll be up and running there.
✮ So what does this tell you? Take note of the countries that you’re visiting before renting a Tep Wireless pocket WiFi so that you’ll know what destinations that won’t be covered for you.
I am now utterly spoiled by Tep Wireless.
In fact, it has become one of my top travel essentials that’s always stuffed in my carry-on! And you cannot believe the number of times that it has saved me whenever there is non-existent or unreliable WiFi — which happens most of the time.
That being said, I highly suggest that you give some thought over owning OR renting a Tep Wireless unit because it can really save you from a lot of trouble if you’re a frequent traveler like me.
DISCLAIMER: Tep Wireless provided me with a free unit for review, but the bought unit is NOT sponsored. I bought it for myself after seeing how awesome it was. Still and as always, all views that are expressed here represent only those made by myself and NOT of any other entity in their favor.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Hey there! I am Aileen Adalid.
At 21, I quit my corporate job in the Philippines to pursue my dreams. Today, I am a successful digital nomad (entrepreneur, travel writer, & vlogger) living a sustainable travel lifestyle.
My mission? To show you how it is absolutely possible to create a life of travel too (no matter the odds), and I will help you achieve that through my detailed travel guides, adventures, resources, tips, and MORE!
NEW READER? START HERE!
CONTINENTS: 7 ~ COUNTRIES: 55
Stay updated with Aileen monthly! Sign up and receive exclusive updates, articles, giveaways, and so much more!
~Jigsaw by @Daniel_Sloss on Netflix https://t.co/kFxB6H1Q9g
Supporting another person's success won't ever dampen yours.