Grilled Beef Salad is one of those traditional Thai dishes that features charred strips of steak tossed with greens in a very funky dressing. I say ‘funky’ because as you might already know, Thai cuisine is distinguished for mixing four tastes: sour, salty, spicy, and sweet and this salad absolutely has its sauce in such mixture. It’s an odd mixture if you think about it, but when you taste it, everything’s so balanced! It was strong and bold alright, but the overall flavor was ‘right on!’. Pair it off with well-marbled or fatty beef and you’ve got yourself a winner!
Now for a disclaimer, I don’t own the recipe below. This is by The Cookery Place where I once had a cooking class by invitation; it was really fun! It was very easy to prepare and I think the only part where first-time-cooks like me could have a bit of an anxious moment in is on the grilling part. For my steak/beef, I always like mine in medium rare!
350g Beef, tenderloin
1 tbsp Oil, vegetable
1 tbsp Oyster sauce
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup Water
2 tbsp Palm or brown sugar
2 pcs Bird’s eye chili, sliced
1 pc Cucumber, sliced thinly
1/2 pc Onion, thinly sliced
40g Long beans (sitaw), sliced
1/2 cup Mint leaves, shredded
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
2.5 tbsp Lime juice
2 pcs Tomato, quartered
50g Kinchay, sliced
- Marinate the beef in oil, oyster sauce, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Grill beef according to desired doneness, turning once. After both sides are cooked (not too charred), allow the beef to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing thinly.
- To make dressing, in a small skillet, heat the water with the sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Afterward, transfer to a large bowl. Add the garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, and Thai red chili. Let cool.
- Add the cucumber, onion, tomatoes, sitaw, kinchay, mint, and sliced steak. Toss well and serve right away!
I did say that it’s easy right? So there you have it!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Hey there! I am Aileen Adalid.
At 21, I quit my corporate job in the Philippines to pursue my dreams. Today, I am a successful digital nomad (entrepreneur, travel writer, & vlogger) living a sustainable travel lifestyle.
My mission? To show you how it is absolutely possible to create a life of travel too, and I will help you achieve that through my detailed travel guides, adventures, resources, tips, and MORE!
NEW READER? START HERE!
CURRENTLY BASED IN: The Philippines
NEXT: Europe, China, Bhutan, Nepal, Taiwan
Stay updated with Aileen monthly! Sign up and receive exclusive updates, articles, giveaways, and so much more!